Studio Room Acoustics
The Room Acoustics Management System
The Cave Studio is an 18’ x 12’ room. The room has a 6’ x 6’ double paned window to the left of the recording console. The ceiling eight is 8’ 9”.
The room has been treated with wall and ceiling acoustic panels to manage the sound reflections and to control frequency buildups from reflective standing waves.
The room is acoustically divided into to “Studio Spaces”:
1. The Control Console 12’ x 12’ monitoring space – The Control Room
2. The Performance Recording tracking space 6’ x 12’ – The Recording Studio
The studio spaces are managed with movable walls called “Gobos”. There are two types of Gobos used in the Muse Cave studio:
1. Movable Walls – 2’ x 3’ x 6” Acoustic Bass Traps and sound absorbers: Three configurable walls
2. Movable Panels – 5’ x 2’ x 2” sound absorbing panels: Two assignable sound source controller panels
The room is not designed to be a “Dead Room”. Live surfaces have been strategically preserved to add the proper amount of “Liveliness” to the room.
The Muse Cave combined Studio and Control Room acoustics is controlled by the placement of Primacoustic London 10 Acoustic Room Kit, Primacoustic GoTrap Studio Gobo and Bass Traps, and GIK Gobos and wall tiles.
The Wall Scatter and Ceiling panels:
The room uses twelve Scatter 12" x 12” x 1” square blocks behind the studio console desk and two 2’ x 2’ x 2” ceiling mounted acoustic panels.
These absorbers help to present a true sound image when monitoring from the console speakers.
The ceiling tiles control frequency bounces from the console surfaces and the back wall.
They also helped to manages frequency buildups that were noticeable during previous room tunings prior to the installation of the ceiling panels.
The Studio Monitor Room Treatments:
The Home Studio Control Room/Tracking Room is treated with professional room tuning columns, scatter block squares, Free Standing and stackable Gobos, and Spot Panels.
Primacoustic London 10 Acoustic Room Kit:
- Eight Control Columns - 12" x 48" x 2", w/Beveled Edges
- Twelve Scatter Blocks - 12" x 12" x 1", w/Beveled Edges
The Primacoustic GoTrap Studio Gobo and Bass Traps:
- Three 2’ x 3’ x 6” Gobos for Control Room isolation from the guitar amps
The GIK Acoustics Free Standing Acoustic Gobo Panels and Acoustic Absorption Panels:
- Two movable Acoustic Panels: 24” x 60” X 2” for the mic table Acoustic Guitar and Vocals
- Two Spot Panel Acoustic Panels: 24” x 24” x 3.625” final wall reflection control
The Wall Column panels:
Eight 48" Acoustic columns that are 12" wide.
These columns are strategically places in the room to manage reflections from adjacent surfaces.
The Control Space uses these panels, with the Scatter Blocks, to manage the listening environment for Tracking, Mixing, and Mastering.
- Two 2' x2' Ceiling Panels
- Eight 1' x 4' Wall Panels
- Two Wall 2' x 2' Panels